[Nottingham] Broken Windows

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:51:56 UTC 2018

On 23/07/18 20:15, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
> On 21/07/18 09:59, Daryl via Nottingham wrote:
>> At the gym this morning and saw this. Should I suggest an upgrade to Linux?

> Personal disclaimer:
> All just my humble personal opinion and questioning mind as always! ;-)
>

> I've got multiple examples of public Microsoft whatever windows BSOD and
> crash screens as seen on the local buses and estate agents' displays
> upon occasions.
>
> There's even multiple Reddits dedicated to such silliness:
>

> https://www.reddit.com/r/PBSOD/
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/bluescreenofdeath/

> ISTR: As paraphrased from Linux Format and Linux Voice editorials:
>
> We've had over TWO DECADES of Windows BSODs... You'd have thought that
> Microsoft could have fixed their system by now!... Hence they are far
> too easy a target to make stale fun of every day...

And just now for a brief example of the seemingly never-ending saga:

*Enterprise Windows 10 users, Microsoft has some 'quality' patches
coming your way*
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/25/patch/

#####
... In what is starting to feel a little more frequent than it should,
Microsoft pushed out a raft of fixes ... marking the third such update
in July and taking the build number to 17134.191...

... addresses a bug that could turn an admin deathly white. Installation
of a provisioning package update could cause devices to unenroll
themselves from the [admin's/corporate] management service...

... While flinging these patches at expectant Windows 10 machines would
be a good idea, admins do need to exercise caution and should perform
some testing first. All three packages suffer from a known issue where
installing ... could bork some COM components...

Microsoft lists hitting a Sharepoint website, launching the BizTalk
Administration Console or creating COM objects in IIS with Classic ASP
as scenarios that could fail.

Redmond does helpfully provide some workarounds, although it warned that
using them could make a computer more vulnerable. At some point the
software giant promises to emit another fix to deal with the problem...
#####

Sooo... My reading is to *expect yet more BSODs* for a lot of poor
Microsoft dependent sods!...

> All just my humble personal opinion and questioning mind as always! ;-)
>

> A good one to chew over for the next social! :-)

Indeed so on all counts :-) :-)

Just head over to TheRegister for all the gory glory of Microsoft and
others! https://www.theregister.co.uk/