[Nottingham] Linux on DeX - turn your mobile phone into a PC-like experience with a single cable

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 00:17:56 UTC 2018

Folks,

Now surprisingly long ago, we had the Canonical/Ubuntu push to take
advantage of the supercomputer performance of (the latest) mobile
devices to make for a great idea of making your mobile your one-and-only
compute device.

Just add: keyboard, mouse and a (bigger) screen (and more batteries).

That was abandoned and is now a community project:

Ubuntu Touch

https://ubuntu-touch.io/

"Ubuntu Touch is a mobile version of the Ubuntu operating system for
mobile devices. However, unlike other 'flavors' of Ubuntu such as Mate,
Mint and Gnome, it is more accurately an extract of parts of Ubuntu. It
is adapted to run naturally in a mobile, touch-screen environment but is
also capable of functioning as a desktop computer..."

See also https://ubports.com/

*And now* ...

We have just now hitting the maillists another commercial attempt with:

Linux on DeX - Development environment on the go

https://www.linuxondex.com/

#####
Samsung DeX lets you turn your phone into a PC-like experience with a
single cable...

... Here is how it works. You need to install the Linux on DeX app on
your device, once the app is installed a secure container will be
created and you can add an Ubuntu Linux image on container to run it.

Enjoy a PC-like development experience with your mobile devices and
Samsung DeX...

Our Partner ubuntu

* Ubuntu 16.04 provided by Samsung Linux on DeX beta is a modified
version of original Ubuntu image.

1. Register for beta trial...
#####

Vadim, what do you reckon? ;-)