[Nottingham] Linux on DeX - turn your mobile phone into a PC-like experience with a single cable

VM vadim at mankevich.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 08:59:52 UTC 2018

I thought about it but then it turned out S7 is not supported :)
It is as secure as an X server running as an android application. From what I've seen there's no additional security enforced by Knox or something else.
BTW, that gave an idea  I want to try and demo if successful. Linux Desktop on Android phone without DeX!

On 9 November 2018 00:17:52 GMT, Martin via Nottingham <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Now surprisingly long ago, we had the Canonical/Ubuntu push to take
>advantage of the supercomputer performance of (the latest) mobile
>devices to make for a great idea of making your mobile your
>one-and-only
>compute device.
>
>Just add: keyboard, mouse and a (bigger) screen (and more batteries).
>

>That was abandoned and is now a community project:
>
>Ubuntu Touch
>
>https://ubuntu-touch.io/
>
>"Ubuntu Touch is a mobile version of the Ubuntu operating system for
>mobile devices. However, unlike other 'flavors' of Ubuntu such as Mate,
>Mint and Gnome, it is more accurately an extract of parts of Ubuntu. It
>is adapted to run naturally in a mobile, touch-screen environment but
>is
>also capable of functioning as a desktop computer..."
>
>See also https://ubports.com/
>

>*And now* ...
>
>We have just now hitting the maillists another commercial attempt with:
>
>Linux on DeX - Development environment on the go
>
>https://www.linuxondex.com/
>
>#####
>Samsung DeX lets you turn your phone into a PC-like experience with a
>single cable...
>
>... Here is how it works. You need to install the Linux on DeX app on
>your device, once the app is installed a secure container will be
>created and you can add an Ubuntu Linux image on container to run it.
>
>Enjoy a PC-like development experience with your mobile devices and
>Samsung DeX...
>
>Our Partner ubuntu
>
>* Ubuntu 16.04 provided by Samsung Linux on DeX beta is a modified
>version of original Ubuntu image.
>
>1. Register for beta trial...
>#####
>

>Vadim, what do you reckon? ;-)
>
>How secure?...
>
>Cheers,
>Martin
>
>--

vadim at mankevich.co.uk PGP key fingerprint
0xC046022A3A91455AF0C9BB2404BF882B1905C772
Retrieve from https://keybase.io/vmankevich

"When we take away the right to figure out if something bad is going on in our computers, the inevitable consequence is that bad things will happen in our computers." (Cory Doctorow)