[Nottingham] [Talk] 7:30pm *Tomorrow* Thursday 18/10/2018: Overdraft GNU/SJW-Linux & Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 15:16:22 UTC 2018

Folks,

We run through most interesting times, at least for parts of the
cybersphere... Hopefully without too much of a curse from various media
without frontiers...

Roll along for a roller-coaster mix of real world hardware demos
(blinking lights and Raspberry Pi ;-) ), likely some further "what and
how of backups", beer, and an eventful discussion upon how GNU/Linux
came to be. So what next?...

*Overdraft GNU/SJW-Linux Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening*

All welcome for all and anything Linux at our favoured venue:

7:30pm *Tomorrow* Thursday 18/10/2018

*The Overdraft*

http://www.totallybrewed.com/

(Canning Circus)
11-15 Alfreton Road
Nottingham
NG7 3JE

Note they have a small selection of bar snacks. I may well be trying
their cheese platter...

There is limited parking around the back area for carrying in any kit
(let me know to check).

I'll be taking along my selection of cables...

(We may even see some more blinking lights? ;-) )

All welcome! :-)

See ya there,

*Further talk notes*

To set a most unlikely scene that has never before been seen in any of
the business and social and cyber worlds, we've had:

The GNU Manifesto (1983 - 1987)
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

"Gnu's Not Unix!" and was a bold move away from the commercial unix wars
of those days.

What would you like to see most in minix?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ

#####
Linus Benedict Torvalds (25/08/1991)

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...
#####

Until more recently:

Linux 4.19-rc4 Released As Linus Temporarily Steps Away From Kernel
Maintainership
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.19-rc4-Released

And from the message posted by Linus himself on the Linux Kernel Mailing

Linux 4.19-rc4 released, an apology, and a maintainership note
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1809.2/00117.html?print=anz

#####
... The one change that stands out and merits mention is the code of
conduct addition...

[ And here comes the other, much longer, part... ]

Which brings me to the *NOT* normal part of the last week...

... The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat
painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my
behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal
behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development
entirely.

I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to
understand people's emotions and respond appropriately.

Put another way: When asked at conferences, I occasionally talk about
how the pain-points in kernel development have generally not been
about the _technical_ issues, but about the inflection points where
development flow and behavior changed...
#####

How did this come about and what next?

Whatever might happen for the 4.19 kernel release?!

Interesting times indeed! :-)

See y'all tomorrow to discuss!