[Nottingham] [Talk] 7:30pm *TODAY* Thursday 18/10/2018: Overdraft GNU/SJW-Linux & Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 15:13:05 UTC 2018

Folks,

(See also below for added further discussion notes ;-) )

7:30pm *TODAY* Thursday 18/10/2018:

> We run through most interesting times, at least for parts of the
> cybersphere... Hopefully without too much of a curse from various media
> without frontiers...
>
> Roll along for a roller-coaster mix of real world hardware demos
> (blinking lights and Raspberry Pi ;-) ), likely some further "what and
> how of backups", beer, and an eventful discussion upon how GNU/Linux
> came to be. So what next?...
>

> *Overdraft GNU/SJW-Linux Fix-it/Install/Demo Evening*
>
> All welcome for all and anything Linux at our favoured venue:

7:30pm *TODAY* Thursday 18/10/2018

> *The Overdraft*
>
> http://www.totallybrewed.com/
>
> (Canning Circus)
> 11-15 Alfreton Road
> Nottingham
> NG7 3JE
>
> Note they have a small selection of bar snacks. I may well be trying
> their cheese platter...
>
> There is limited parking around the back area for carrying in any kit
> (let me know to check).
>
> I'll be taking along my selection of cables...
>
> (We may even see some more blinking lights? ;-) )

All welcome! :-)

See ya there,

> *Further talk notes*
>

> To set a most unlikely scene that has never before been seen in any of
> the business and social and cyber worlds, we've had:
>

> The GNU Manifesto (1983 - 1987)
> https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> "Gnu's Not Unix!" and was a bold move away from the commercial unix wars
> of those days.
>

> What would you like to see most in minix?
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ
>
> #####
> Linus Benedict Torvalds (25/08/1991)
>
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...
> #####
>

> Until more recently:
>
> Linux 4.19-rc4 Released As Linus Temporarily Steps Away From Kernel
> Maintainership
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.19-rc4-Released
>
> And from the message posted by Linus himself on the Linux Kernel Mailing
>
> Linux 4.19-rc4 released, an apology, and a maintainership note
> http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1809.2/00117.html?print=anz
>
> #####
> ... The one change that stands out and merits mention is the code of
> conduct addition...
>
> [ And here comes the other, much longer, part... ]
>
> Which brings me to the *NOT* normal part of the last week...
>
> ... The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat
> painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my
> behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal
> behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development
> entirely.
>
> I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to
> understand people's emotions and respond appropriately.
>
> Put another way: When asked at conferences, I occasionally talk about
> how the pain-points in kernel development have generally not been
> about the _technical_ issues, but about the inflection points where
> development flow and behavior changed...
> #####

So... What is [a] SJW?

Social justice warrior
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

And for some www commentary on recent events for Linus meets SJW-isms:

LWN.net: After Years of Abusive E-mails, the Creator of Linux Steps
Aside (The New Yorker)
https://lwn.net/Articles/765958/rss

Is Linux the latest SJW casualty
https://www.xyz.net.au/is-linux-the-latest-sjw-casualty/
#####
The core development team of the Linux operating system has caved to
pressure from the political correctness online enforcement brigades, and
can no longer be completely trusted...
#####

SJWs Just Ruined Linux: Linus is Out
http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2018/09/17/sjws-just-ruined-linux/

Note: There's some rather forthright commentary in there!

And for an unflattering direct set of views:

Linux imploding. Linus Torvalds pushed out by SJW trannies. Time to fork
this country.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Linux-imploding-Linus-Torvalds-pushed-out-by-SJW-trannies-Time-to-fork-this-country-/5-2147615/
#####
Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux kernel, has left the Linux
Foundation after attacks from leftist freaks. Corey Dale "Coraline Ada"
Ehmke, a mentally ill he/she SJW of GitHub fame, has instituted a new
Code of Conduct for Linux programmers based on inclusion and diversity.

The new face of Linux...
#####

Linux Has a Code of Conduct and Not Everyone is Happy With it
https://itsfoss.com/linux-code-of-conduct/
#####
Last updated September 21, 2018 By Abhishek Prakash 214 Comments

Linux kernel has a new code of conduct (CoC). Linus Torvalds took a
break from Linux kernel development just 30 minutes after signing this
code of conduct. And since the writer of this code of conduct has had a
controversial past, it has now become a point of heated discussion. With
all the politics involved, not many people are happy with this new CoC...

... Coraline has also been vocal about her stance against meritocracy.
The Latin word meritocracy originally refers to a “system under which
advancement within the system turns on “merits”, like intelligence,
credentials, and education.” But activists like Coraline believe that
meritocracy is a negative system where the worth of an individual is
measured not by their humanity, but solely by their intellectual output...
#####

Hackers Must Eject the SJWs, Says Legendary Hacker Eric Raymond
https://hacked.com/hackers-must-eject-sjws-says-legendary-hacker-eric-raymond/
#####
... The Poisonous ‘Culture’ of Thought-Policing and Witch-Hunting

Raymond warns that the SJWs want to abandon what they call the “the
pervasive cult of meritocracy” and replace it with a cult of diversity...
#####

Linus Torvalds and Linux Code of Conduct: 7 myths debunked
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-and-linux-code-of-conduct-myths/
#####
No, protesting programmers are not removing code from Linux; there are
no purges of politically incorrect Linux kernel developers. And Linus
Torvalds is coming back...
#####

> How did this come about and what next?
>
> Whatever might happen for the 4.19 kernel release?!
>
> Interesting times indeed! :-)

See y'all this evening to discuss!