[Nottingham] Disc failure in a RAID 1 array

Michael Simms lug at toomanysites.org
Thu Sep 27 12:21:17 UTC 2018

As I currently have 40 dead discs sitting on my shelf of shame, I know
something of bad discs.

I avoid WD and Seagate like the plague.

Backblaze has always shown one thing consistently. HGST discs are more
reliable than any others. Samsungs used to be more reliable, but they
stopped making spinning rust a few years ago.

I now have around 90TB of disc in use, and 80TB of it is HGST. I've had
one failure of HGST so far, which is way lower than the rates I got with
WD or Seagate.

Sure you can save money on discs, but what's your data worth?

Michael