[Nottingham] [Visit] 10am to 2:30pm, Sunday 21/042019: TNMoC and Electrojumble!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Apr 23 15:43:17 UTC 2019

Folks,

And so, a small happy band of NLUG didst gather and with a very
eco-friendly carshare didst adventure into a beautifully bright and
sunny morning to explore... TNMoC http://www.tnmoc.org/

Since my last visit a few years ago, TNMoC has been nicely tidied up and
spruced up. The "Block H" site gives a fabulous view of the
semi-automated codebreaking developed for Bletchley Park and the story
of the people behind that world leading and war-winning work. As a grand
bonus, they have recreated or rejuvenated some the iconic developments
of the early days of electronic and electromechanical computers.

They also have a large area that is home to an old ICL mainframe and
various old business computers. They have TWO Cray supercomputers! A
Transputer system bravely shows it's iconic TV demo of years ago. They
also have an Air Traffic Control demo in another room. And there's a
couple of rooms of retro home computers with more games than I remember!

Even better, most of that lot are live and working!

And all enthusiastically explained and guided by very knowledgeable
volunteers!!

Excellent! :-)

So yep, we were in there for the day until gently thrown out after
closing time :-)

We all bagged various bits at the junk sale or in the shop.

Boris got to be talking in disbelief to the senior engineer who looks
after the Colossus - and charmed up a real live old thermionic valve!

(One now to auction for your retirement? ;-) ;-) )

We also got an enthusiastic story for a rather large ceramic valve on
display there that is of great weight (half-inch copper pipes for wires,
more pipes for water/vapour cooling, special lifting gear needed) and
stupendous high power that transmitted radio signals worldwide...

We then finished off with food and a drink at a nearby pub overlooking
an idyllic view across a lake and grounds into a picturesque sunset.

In short, an excellent day for a fabulous place.

Definitely a Geeks-Must-Visit :-)

We'll leave the actors next door at the 'theme park' until some other
time...

All good geekie fun!

So... Where next?!