[Nottingham] linux.conf.au 2019 - Christchurch, New Zealand (Re: [Social] *Tomorrow* 7:30pm Thursday 31/01/2019: OverDraught Blue Moon!)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 20:49:53 UTC 2019

On 30/01/2019 17:46, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
> I'm also recently re-emerged from the New Zealand Linux Conf talks as
> can be seen now on https://www.youtube.com/user/linuxconfau2019/videos
>
> There's lots of good comment there to discuss! And more ;-)
>

> So don your Arctic kit and come join us all at our favoured Overdraught:
>

> 7:30pm Thursday 31/01/2019
> ==========================
>
> *OverDraught Blue Moon*

A selection of "linux.conf.au 2019" talks that caught my interest
(in no particular order) include:

The Free Software Mirror Group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umt8L1qimCs

"FSMG are currently official mirrors in New Zealand for Debian, Kali,
Raspbian, CentOS, Arch Linux, OpenBSD and other projects."

Python++ – Bringing your code to the next level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAUYTcy6eGU

"- Clean code which is easier to understand, more functional, testable
and beautiful."

[Read-Copy-Update] RCU's First-Ever CVE, and How I Lived to Tell the Tale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZX1aokdNiY

"There was a time when I thought that Linux-kernel RCU was so low level
that it was immune to security exploits. However..."

Firmware security, why it matters and how you can have it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_9sUfpW_o

"... if the firmware underneath the kernel is insecure then attackers
have an opportunity to sidestep your security and compromise you anyway..."

Maintaining the Unmaintainable: Picking up the Baton of a Secure Kernel
Patchset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIKbj_6diU

"handing over future maintenance of grsecurity test patches to the
community"

Making C Less Dangerous in the Linux kernel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9SbqTO5GQ

"With the Linux kernel written in C, it comes with some worrisome
baggage, 'undefined' behaviors...

Right to Not Broadcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZcfS_xy9c

"As we increasingly live in a world where our devices are
interconnected, the line becomes blurrier between strictly private
information and information that is shared. From medical devices to in
home security systems..."

Open Source Magnetic Resonance Imaging: From the Community to the Community
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWgDvQvlmM

"Through transparent collaboration we hope to improve global access to
affordable and high-quality MRI devices, which could lay the groundwork
for development of other medical devices..."

The kernel report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt29BKVfI0I

"an overview of what the kernel development community has been up to and
what can be expected in the near future..."

The Tragedy of systemd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

"systemd is, to put it mildly, controversial. As a FreeBSD developer I
decided I wanted to know why..."

Phew!

Cue drinks, popcorn, and, *ACTION* !

:-)