[Nottingham] FTTP Nottingham (Was: Re: RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 12:47:55 UTC 2019

On 10/06/2019 12:16, Dylan Swift wrote:

>     Very curious as to "Why now?" and at what cost for what speeds?
>

> my colleague says he's paying just under £50pm for the 150Mb/s down
> 30Mb/s up with Zen internet

Very timely, for comparison there is The Register with:

March 2020: When you lucky, lucky Brits will have a legal right to a
minimum of... 10Mbps

And only if it doesn't cost too much

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/06/ofcoms_universal_broadband_service_guarantee_kicks_off_in_march_2020/

#####
... There's also a price requirement: this "affordable" package should
cost no more than £45. For comparison, the same money will buy you 1Gbps
in Singapore...
#####

If your broadband bill is too high consider moving to Idaho, they get
the internet for free

Municipal fiber half the price of Comcast, AT&T etc

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/07/ammon_municipal_broadband/

#####
... residents could get a no-contract, no data-cap internet service
offering 15Mbps for just $1.88 a month...

... upgrade to a faster 500Mbps or Gigabit service for $9.98 and $9.99 a
month respectively (yes, you read that right, one cent more for an extra
500Mbps)...
#####

So... What happened to the UK?...

>     Shame we're still stuck with grotty old telephone poles for the BT
>     stuff...
>

> Interestingly, since I posted, I took a walk along Torville drive & it
> struck me that while it is a relatively new estate (1990s?), something
> looked different - then I realised there were no telephone poles -
> something that I was completely oblivious to.

Yes, rather good to have the clear cleanness of no ugly old poles and
dangling wire spaghetti.

Any chance the old decrepit stuff will ever get cleaned up and removed?...

For a long lingering example, there is still an awful lot of old defunct
Redifusion cable TV poles and wires detritus still strung up...

Here's hoping for some good progress :-)