[Nottingham] [Talk] *Tomorrow* 7:30pm Thursday 16/05/2019: Trip To bits ‘n’ bobs

John Whitehead me at johnwhitehead.co.uk
Wed May 15 13:44:00 UTC 2019

Might get there early to get some food and sunshine, before someone intelligent works out why my new RPi SD card won't boot.J

---- On Wed, 15 May 2019 09:25:32 +0000 nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote ----

Folks,

*Tomorrow* 7:30pm Thursday 16/05/2019:

*Trip To bits ‘n’ bobs*

This month we move downhill from The OverDraught to revisit an *Olde*
favourite haunt in the haunted snug of *Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem*

See you all there for:

Likely a demo of just how quickly a Linux distro can be installed
onto an ex-TNMoC old retro-computer of some unknown innards...

Enthusings of a TNMoC adventurous debrief;

Further enthusings for the latest announcement for an EPYC
supercomputer[*] that is to outpace the combined force of the present
top 160 of the world supercomputers;

With further comparisons for how the latest design compares with the
Cray designs of old (as can be seen at TNMoC 😉 🙂 );

With the added side note that Linux runs ALL of the world top 500
supercomputers...

And lots else Linux and new developments!

(Anyone got a Brambleweeny or a more modest Bramble to bring?! :-P )

All welcome, technical and non-technical alike, for everything about
Linux, Supercomputers, Linux distros, and upgrades!

We will no doubt be discussing everything else in general also.

All at:

7:30pm Thursday 16/05/2019
==========================

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem
https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/nottinghamshire/ye-olde-trip-to-jerusalem/

1 Brewhouse Yard
Nottingham, NG1 6AD

Phone: 0115 9473171

We have the ground floor snug room reserved.

Just ask the friendly bar staff for Linux or follow the Penguins!

Some of us will be there earlier for some of their fine food and warmth.

All welcome! :-)

See ya there,
Martin

*: Further detail on: Beyond Rome: AMD’s EPYC and Radeon to Power
World’s Fastest Exascale Supercomputer (beware the annoying adverts!)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-epyc-radeon-frontier-exascale-supercomputer,39275.html

See also: Frontier: Expected World’s Fastest Supercomputer to be Powered
by AMD
https://www.amd.com/en/products/frontier