[Nottingham] (Help/Call - ) Support documentation Policies

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 17:03:09 UTC 2019

TJ,

Sorry for a slow response. Surprised noone else hasn't already replied.

For a 'helpline' or any sort of real-time support:

My experience has been that trying to keep 'end-of-day' notes is too
unreliable to be relied upon... "Things happen"(tm) and you can all too
easily lose the write-up time...

More commonly done and far better is to use a 'job tracker' utility or
even a bugtracker to formally log a support call/task and to log the
problem/reasons through to the progress and completion/outcome.

Failing that, just keep a text file log for each call with a strict
convention for the notes.

A very good idea is to keep everything simple! (And robust.)

It is essential to make the policy that the notes are made at the time,
in real time, and that another support call is not taken until the
existing support call notes have been completed and saved/submitted.

Essentially, ensure there is an 'audit trail' with log entry times
logging what has happened.

Any other method usually involves head scratching, duplication,
frustration, and never going home on time!

Another note is that as soon as there is more than one person involved,
you really do need to formalise and log all that you do for the support...

Hope that is of help,

Good luck,
Martin