[Nottingham] [Misc] UK ... almost alone ... centralized virus contact-tracing app

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 00:01:20 UTC 2020

Normally there's no cross-boarders working: There's a multitude of
mutually incompatible apps tied into a particular country/governance.

With one 'half-exception':

Apparently, the app that is unique for Eire also works for Northern
Island mobile numbers, but that is just a concession for people in
Northern Island to use the unique app from Eire...

And there's multiple reports that trying to guess distance from
Bluetooth signal strength is uselessly inaccurate. No surprise really
considering all the confounding factors that have nothing to do with the
nice clean inverse-square law for distance...

And, and... There is far too much scope for people to abuse and game the
system...

And then there is the aspect of the present and future abuse of the
moment by moment tracking data that can be, or is, collected... Was that
Baroness Dido's hoped for "cherry on the cake"?

There has to be a better way.

For example, staying safe at source? Following safe practices to avoid
infection in the first place?...

This looks to be all a very strange 'game'...

One for discussion on Thursday?... ;-)

Stay safe!