[Nottingham] [Misc] UK ... almost alone ... centralized virus contact-tracing app

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 14:43:39 UTC 2020

Very aptly and timely, we have in the news at the moment:

Coronavirus: Does anyone have a working contact-tracing app?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53168438

BCS: The NHS Contact Tracing App: 9 key talking points
https://www.bcs.org/content-hub/the-nhs-contact-tracing-app-9-key-talking-points/

"Despite a considerable investment of time, money and technical
expertise, the UK Government has announced that it will abandon its
original COVID-19 tracing app..."

Fancy a pint? You might need an app for that
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53171031

My /personal/ summary is that, with the special exception of the
dedicated hardware implementation used in Singapore, there are likely to
be no usefully working mobile pandemic tracing apps for proximity
tracing. Also, there is presently too much scope for abuse, both by the
users and by whatever controlling authorities...

However... What next?

One to discuss later!

On 24/06/2020 01:01, Martin via Nottingham wrote:
> Normally there's no cross-boarders working: There's a multitude of
> mutually incompatible apps tied into a particular country/governance.
[---]
> And, and... There is far too much scope for people to abuse and game the
> system...
>
> And then there is the aspect of the present and future abuse of the
> moment by moment tracking data that can be, or is, collected... Was that
> Baroness Dido's hoped for "cherry on the cake"?
>

> There has to be a better way.
[---]