[Nottingham] COVID quarantine day 1

John Whitehead me at johnwhitehead.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 20:49:36 UTC 2020

Zoom are laughing as loads of people are trying it out and saying it's the best. Once things blow over and they've got people hooked, it will get much more expensive. Poison is indeed the right word.

Our 'investment' in Teams is actually seeming reasonable, apart from the people who can't understand why they don't get video & audio on a terminal server ...

Otherwise go WebRTC. It works. It's open. Nuff sed.

---- On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 10:28:57 +0000 J J via Nottingham <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote ----

Not sure, personally I'm not particularly concerned about E2E for that kind of chat.

Pretty sure Nextcloud Talk is also WebRTC.

Other possibles like Zoom etc are proprietary (although almost certainly just wrap the same protocols) so, err, yeah; pick yer poison.

J.

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 16:52, VM <mailto:vadim at mankevich.co.uk> wrote:

Doesn't it need a bridge for conference calls that removes E2E encryption?

 On March 23, 2020 2:21:57 PM UTC, J J via Nottingham <mailto:nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
 >Jitsi is probably easiest as it uses WebRTC and all you need is a
 >browser.
 >
 >On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 14:13, Martin via Nottingham <
 >mailto:nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
 >
 >> On 21/03/2020 12:08, Jason via Nottingham wrote:
 >> > Will the LUG now be going virtual?
 >>
 >> I think we'll have to...
 >>
 >> Nextcloud Talk?
 >>
 >> Jitsi?
 >>
 >> Or any other FLOSS recommendations??
 >>

 >> Cheers,
 >> Martin
 >>

 >> --

 mailto:vadim at mankevich.co.uk PGP key fingerprint
 0xC046022A3A91455AF0C9BB2404BF882B1905C772
 Retrieve from https://keybase.io/vmankevich

 "When we take away the right to figure out if something bad is going on in our computers, the inevitable consequence is that bad things will happen in our computers." (Cory Doctorow)