[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* 7:30pm Thursday 28/05/2020: Elon Musk in SPACE!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri May 29 15:36:40 UTC 2020

Folks,

>> Staying virtual until we evolve onwards around the SARS-CoV-2 virus and
>> the resultant COVID-19...
>>
>> (See: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus )
>>
>> NLUG continues socially online!

Good do even with a reduced crew. Various random discussions as always
and a brief excursion into spectacular full-flow rocketry.

Was everyone out doing some socially Cummings sunbathing?!... ;-) :-)

As discussed, considering the sunny season, and so as to stay darkly
geekie, we're moving our next meeting to BDST but still the same 7:30pm:

7:30pm BDST ( *** 8:30pm BST ***; 21:30 GMT)

Enjoy yer sunbathin'! ;-) :-) :-)

And see y'all on the next do.

Meanwhile:

>> After introductions we have a Mini-talk:
>>
>> *Elon Musk in SPACE*
>>

>> For this 'talk night' we have a short summary (and graphics!) to enthuse
>> for how Elon Musk has revolutionised rocket and spaceship development
>> and delivery. Does this mark the end of NASA and their expensively
>> stagnant slow dead-end corporates?
>>
>> All spectacular stuff! Thunderbirds really are GO!
>>
>> And it runs on Linux!! Truly, we have penguins in rocketry...!

After toiling over my fabulous presentation...

I'm very happy to admit to being visually outdone with this fun visual
summary from a highly enthusiastic and dedicated group:

YouTube:

NASASpaceflight - History of SpaceX: Road to Demo-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9IJZ9v76A

Unfortunately on Wednesday, the launch was scrubbed due to the
atmospheric electric field strength getting to be too many Volts/metre...

Note that the exhaust trail from a rocket launch acts as a very
effective lightning conductor (lots of conductive water in the exhaust
gas)... Watching the launch attempt, there did look to be some scary
thunderous cumulus clouds nearby.

There was also the threat of tornadoes!

Hence, very good to scrub and launch for a better day.

Here's wishing success for the SpaceX Demo-2 mission on Saturday!

Enjoy!
Martin

British Double Summer Time (BDST):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_time_in_Europe#Double_Summer_Time