[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* 7:30pm Thursday 28/05/2020: Elon Musk in SPACE!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 28 15:05:55 UTC 2020

Folks,

https://meet.jit.si/NLUGmeet05

> After introductions we have a Mini-talk:
>
> *Elon Musk in SPACE*
>

> For this 'talk night' we have a short summary (and graphics!) to enthuse
> for how Elon Musk has revolutionised rocket and spaceship development
> and delivery. Does this mark the end of NASA and their expensively
> stagnant slow dead-end corporates?
>
> All spectacular stuff! Thunderbirds really are GO!
>
> And it runs on Linux!! Truly, we have penguins in rocketry...!
>
> Note, this is all very highly topical with (assuming all goes well) the
> imminent historic launch tonight (Wednesday):
>

> *Nasa SpaceX launch set to usher in new era for human spaceflight*
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52809664
>
> #####
> American space agency (Nasa) astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken will
> create a piece of history on Wednesday when they launch from the Florida
> coast.
>
> The pair's trip to the International Space Station (ISS) will be made in
> a rocket and capsule system provided by a private company, SpaceX...
>
> ... Hurley's and Behnken's lift-off from the Kennedy Space Center is
> scheduled for 16:33 local time (20:33 GMT / 21:33 BST)...
>
> [... And they pass over southern England 20:55 GMT / 21:55 BST.]
> #####

And they had to scrub the launch in the last 15 minutes of countdown due
to the risk of a lightning strike.

Note that the exhaust from a skywards zooming rocket makes for a very
good lightning conductor! There were some big cumulus clouds nearby and
the atmospheric electric field increased to too many Volts/metre...

Good to scrub for another day!

Next launch attempt is on Saturday.

Back here on earth, merrily in our cyberworld, we need no excuse for us
to later catch up with what the group has been doing.

Have your beverages to hand, and lets party!

See y'all online.

All welcome

Stay safe!
Martin