[Nottingham] [Misc] Peer-peer and group video conferencing

VM vadim at mankevich.co.uk
Sun Oct 11 14:37:39 UTC 2020

I support installing Jitsi. I've heard there is a monster server in your rack waiting to be used. ;) There was even a quick tutorial in the latest Linux Format.

Signal won't work for groups and in my experience was more power hungry than Jitsi.
BigBlueButton is more fit for classroom.
Jami is p2p so people with low bandwidth could experience congestion. As I understand it Jitsi videobridge is quite useful in such use cases.
Haven't tried Nextcloud Talk. I guess it requires a separate dedicated server.

P.S. problems could be avoided by using the official jitsi appimage, which is a packaged  electron application.