[Nottingham] [Misc] Microsoft/Windows in the news... Over the Edge?!...

J I jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:14:16 UTC 2020

Do not start me on Microsoft. I have just written the following server code
to deal with users clicking on a link inside Excel and Word:
if (httpRequest.getHeader("User-Agent").contains("ms-office")) {
    // Return with an empty response
 } else {
    // Actually do stuff
}

Because, for some *STUPID *reason, they can't just open a link in the
user's browser; they probe with some weirdness of their own which, because
it lacks any session or cookie information, causes the server to issue a
redirect to the login page and it's *that *with Excel & Word decide to open
in the browser.

Really infuriating.

J.