[Nottingham] wifi extenders and slow emails

Fay Knight fay_knight at zoho.com
Wed Feb 24 21:12:27 UTC 2021

As it happens I've just been mucking around with this on an old pi zero w.  I assume something very similar could be done with a full size pi board to make use of Ethernet.

Don't know if it meets the requirement of being simple to set up, but at least it has the advantage of being updatable once it is up and running.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-wifi-extender/

Hope everyone's OK,

Fay

On 24 February 2021 16:30:01 GMT, Martin via Nottingham <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Forwarded from Nigel:
>
>Any insights?
>
>Cheers,
>Martin
>

>#####
>Can anyone recommend a wifi extender that is reliable, secure, easy to
>set up and inexpensive?
>
>I've been using a TP-Link RE200 but have recently read that there are
>potential security problems with some TP-Link products, although not
>specifically the RE200. To add to my concerns my browser flags up links
>given in the RE200 manual as potentially containing malware and warns
>against opening them.  Even more worrying is that the TP-Link website
>itself acknowledges the insecurity.  I guess that all extenders create
>vulnerabilities but that some are more secure than others.
>
>What I need is an extender with an ethernet port as my basic desktop
>lacks wifi facility.  I have a Dynamode wireless USB adapter that works
>well if the desktop is close to the router but even if it's close to
>the
>extender internet performance seems to be better with a wired
>connection.
>
>See:
>https://www.cnet.com/news/these-wi-fi-extenders-had-vulnerabilities-that-gave-hackers-complete-control/
>https://securityintelligence.com/posts/critical-rce-vulnerability-in-tp-link-wi-fi-extenders-can-grant-attackers-remote-control/
>https://medium.com/advisability/the-in-security-of-the-tp-link-technologies-tl-wa850re-wi-fi-range-extender-26db87a7a0cc
>
>Another query:
>
>Do you have experience of PlusNet's Webmail?  It can be frustratingly
>slow compared with other email providers on the same router.  Any way
>of
>improving speed?  Would it be better if accessed through Thunderbird?
>
>The PlusNet link to enabling this is archived, implying that it might
>not be much help.  As an alternative to Webmail can you suggest free
>email providers that don't collect or sell personal information?
>
>Any insights welcome.
>
>Cheers
>
>Nigel
>#####