[Nottingham] wifi extenders and slow emails

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 16:13:33 UTC 2021

Fay,

Very good suggestion and the sort of route I would go if ethernet cables
are not practical. However, for reliability, ethernet cables are much
preferred!

Nigel,

I also have little faith in the security of WiFi devices... Hence always
assume that WiFi is not secure. OK, so the WPA2 encryption helps, but
that will no doubt get compromised due to the compromises required for
keeping WiFi devices low power and low cost and unmaintained...

Hence, stay with ethernet cable if possible.

Or for a commercial extender, go for whatever there is that is 'recent'.

Or optimally, put your own 'extender' together with a RasPi and know for
yourself that the software is the latest and that it is kept securely
up-to-date.

Aside: Another alternative that is possible, with caution, is to try
mains cable networking devices. My experience has been that they can
work well but are not completely reliable.

Another alternative is for whether you can place your modem-router box
somewhere better, and especially away from any other electrical devices?

Note that TVs especially are electrically noisy and will 'deafen' a
nearby WiFi device...

Just a further thought:

How do you know /where/ the slowdown is for seeing your emails?

Is your internet connection itself slow?
Or is it a slow webmail interface?
Or is the 'cloud' that your provider is using slow?

Myself, I've always found web browser based 'webmail' to be too slow and
cumbersome and so have always used either Thunderbird or Mutt or K9
clients to access email via "imap".

Good luck!
Martin