[Nottingham] Hello

J I jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:13:31 UTC 2022

Hey Will & Phil,

Can't say I've used Trisquel either I'm afraid. The obvious answer is, of
course, to back everything up to a separate drive (or two!) before doing
anything.
And bizarrely, the one thing I don't see in their manuals is how to do an
upgrade. Weird. Although based on a forum* post it seems to be the usual
Ubuntu "sudo do-release-upgrade".
This will do an in-place upgrade and preserve "/home", which will cover 90%
of things for general desktop use (it has for me on KDE Neon) but there's
always risk and things outwith "/home" could get nuked; so have a backup
ready.
Just spotted that Trisquel10 has dropped as well; never ceases, eh?

Sorry to hear that you felt it hard to be "part of the crowd", Phil.
That won't have been anyone's intent I am sure and I didn't experience it
myself when I first rocked-up (probably around 2014) knowing basically
nothing, but then I am by my own admission pretty gallus.
The new Macs with the M1 (and coming M2 chips) look tasty, although I have
found myself utterly stumped by networking on Macs.
Well...yes...I am stumped by networking at the best of times.

The meets still happen sporadically on Jitsi, but the pandemic really did
give things a bit of a battering.
Now that restrictions are lifting for those of you South of the Wall, I am
certain Martin will be getting things back on track ASAP.
Me; I won't be making a real-world meet any time soon. Small matter of
geography!

Agree on the number of distros. Choice is great but after a while one gets
stuck choosing, rather than doing.

Cheers,

Jason

*Forum link: