[Nottingham] anyone still here?

martin at stupids.org martin at stupids.org
Mon Feb 5 19:22:17 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:47:34AM +0000, Godfrey Nix via Nottingham wrote:

> just wondering if anyone still left in this group, or has everyone moved
> away from laptops and other computers, just using smartphones now?

I am still on this list, but haven't lived in Nottingham for many years
now, although I do visit sometimes.

I still use Linux every day for both fun and work.

I think one reason Linux user groups have become less active is that
Linux is kind of everywhere now.  I don't mean desktops obviously, but
in the early days of LUGs it was hard to find a job involving Linux and
it was hard to meet people in person to discuss Linux with.  That's just
as not true any more for as many people as it was.

Personally, I still attend lots of (mostly London based) meetups, that
often somehow involve Linux, but are not actually _about_ Linux.  For
example Go and Rust language meetups, various machine learning meetups
etc.

Martin.