[Phpwm] OO?

Jono Bacon jonobacon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 11:50:15 GMT 2005

On 12/10/05, David Goodwin <david at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:
> Since doing more procedural stuff, seeing other people's code etc and
> just gaining more experience, I think that for most cases OO adds too
> much complexity and baggage to what could otherwise be rather simple
> code. For instance, I used to believe it was necessary to create an
> object to encapsulate the underlying data (e.g. an address book entry) -
> obviously it's far more flexible and efficient to pass around an array
> of some sort instead.

You know, this is pretty much what I thought - OO seems add a layer of
complexity to an otherwise simple platform. But then again, I don't
know if that is because my brain is unwilling to think of the web is
OO terms, or if it is actually not suited to OO. I suppose the
stateless nature of the web impacts this.

With graphical applications it seems so much different because you
think in a widget orientated way, and widgets can inherit properties
and expose methods.

  Jono