[Phpwm] OO?

Tom Jemmett tom.jemmett at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 16:46:25 GMT 2005

> Hi all,
Hi

> I was wondering - how much does anyone actually use the OO
> functionality that is in PHP, particularly PHP5. Although I have done
> OO stuff before in C++, I find myself largely writing fairly
> procedurally in PHP, and only really using OO when using PEAR.
>
> What are your thoughts?

I had some problems upgrading to php5 on Debian Sid so I rolled back
to 4, but recently I have started to write my programs using OO.  Even
though it requires more though about design, I feel that you can
create applications quicker (apart from little apps. maybe) as you
don't have to reuse code.  I wrote an application for a friend the
other week, he was doing the design, I was doing the back end and
because I built the application as an array, we could separate the
front end from the back end quite a lot.  I certainly think that if
you are writing larger applications you should try to write it in OO
code as it will save a lot of time and effort.