[Phpwm] virtual hosts in apache

Jake Stride jake.stride at senokian.com
Wed Apr 26 21:10:07 BST 2006

sukh virdee wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up a virtual host on my dedicated server with a dummy domain
> name. I only have one IP address for the server.
>
> How can I access webpages that i have created for the virtual host
> through my browser. I've heard that when using windows and IE you can
> make an addition to  the host file and then you can access the dummy
> site through the IP address...?
Yes that is correct you can add a line like:

ip_of_server    domain_name_in_vhost

there are normally examples in the file such as:

127.0.0.1    localhost

not sure exactly where it is on windows - I think it is in
Windows/System32/etc somewhere but you can find it with win explorer.

Then you can just use your webbrowser and point it at the dummy domain
you have set up

Thanks

Jake