[Phpwm] virtual hosts in apache

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 21:14:17 BST 2006

On 26/04/06, Jake Stride <jake.stride at senokian.com> wrote:

> sukh virdee wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've set up a virtual host on my dedicated server with a dummy domain
> > name. I only have one IP address for the server.
> >
> > How can I access webpages that i have created for the virtual host
> > through my browser. I've heard that when using windows and IE you can
> > make an addition to  the host file and then you can access the dummy
> > site through the IP address...?
> Yes that is correct you can add a line like:
>
> ip_of_server    domain_name_in_vhost
>
> there are normally examples in the file such as:
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>
> not sure exactly where it is on windows - I think it is in
> Windows/System32/etc somewhere but you can find it with win explorer.

Apologies - misunderstood the question.  It's
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Then obviously put the name in the ServerAlias directive in the httpd.conf.
You can add multiple entries on the same line separated by a space too, but
there is a maximum (255 characters I think).

eg.

192.168.100.44   website1 website2  website3

Dave.