[Phpwm] Another one

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 07:35:44 BST 2006

> > >From a commercial point of view I want to know who is in the
> > area and what
> > their skill sets are in case we have requirements we can't fill, there is
> > nothing on our site at the moment as we are re-branding our business, but
> > the type of PHP projects we get involved in are very in-depth not
> > to mention
> > interesting like satellite tracking in real time! - (www.carnetics.co.uk)
> > excuse the shameless plug :)

Would it be a good idea for the phowm site to contain a list of
(willing) members, along with skills etc?

I know we (Pale Purple) definately have problems finding php
programmers, and so do other companies within the phpwm 'area'.

> Actually it wouldn't maybe be a bad idea if one day we all announced our
> skill sets on here as opposed to just finding out on the fly whe someone
> asks a question.

<plug>
  PHP5++, PHP4+, OO++, Smarty++, Propel++,
  PostgreSQL++, MySQL+, Subversion++, Trac++

I (+Kat, who's kept quiet lately) run Pale Purple
( http://www.palepurple.co.uk ) and spend most of our time writing bespoke
PHP applications - normally for internal intranet applications... using
either MySQL or PostgreSQL as a backend...

</plug>

> > I have built up a loath and disliking of agencies and anything to do with
> > recruitment, an opinion from formed from both sides of the fence! I much
> > prefer to work with people I know can do the job and I get on with -
> > something you can never get from a job interview.
>
> Agencies are generally a waste of time, I agree wholeheartedly with that!

In some ways, I'm inclinded to agree; however, seeing as how I had one
previous contract/job through an agency, I view them in a slightly more
positive manner.

> > Sufficed to day a meet up would be great at some point just to get to know
> > people / faces / skills etc - the date could be tricky at the moment as we
> > are expecting a baby in the next few weeks.
> >
> > Have you had any thoughts on a topic for the next meeting ?

Well, I'll offer to talk about Propel (http://propel.phpdb.org), or Kat
might talk about some of the PEAR stuff she's being using lately to do
excel/csv/rtf export....