[Phpwm] Zend Cert?

Darren Beale public.darren.beale at siftware.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 10:11:39 BST 2006

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of becoming Zend Certified for some time now,
so much so that I bought the Zend certification book and sample questions a
while back. I notice that the new PHP5 one is coming out soon and as I don't
want to 'waste' the money I've spent on these books plus the time I've spent
reading them so I figure I'd better get my finger out and go get tested now
before the format changes.

Anyway, my question is to the people on the list that employ developers on a
short or long term basis: is it worth it? Would seeing Zend Certified on a
CV or website make any difference to your hiring decision?

I ask as I became a CCNA early 2000 and it was quite hard work with a high
pass mark to become certified. Due to the nature of the test (closed book,
no access to reference materials) ALL of the information had to be in my
head and I found that due to the massive amount of cramming a lot of it was
lost within weeks (admittedly not helped by the fact that I stopped using
Cisco kit), which seemed a huge waste of time. With PHP for me it's
different as I've been coding in it for so long, however I still use
php.net/manual a lot and my fear is that I'm going to be cramming so I can -
say - remember each individual formatting flag for sprintf() and it seems a
bit pointless when in the real world I'd just go to php.net or access my
IDE's docs.

Any Zend cert's on the list? Has it made you life better in any way?

Thanks

--
Darren Beale
Freelance Web Developer