[Phpwm] Upgrading PHP Version on server.

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 15:54:34 GMT 2006

> I am about to upgrade the version of PHP on a server and need the
> advice of
> as many gurus as possible, hence me posting on this list ;)
>
> The company linux server hosts websites for about 60 clients, and
> I need to
> make the right choice so I don't break anything.
>
> The version at the moment is 4.1.2 (OLD!!) and the link to the phpinfo is:
>
> http://www.cms.istl.com/phpinfo.php
>
> But this is too old for the new framework I am using
> (codeigniter) as this
> requires a minimum of 4.3 to run.
>
> I am trying to decide on which version is best to upgrade to, ideally it
> would be v5.2, which is the very latest official release, but I
> am thinking
> that could potentially cause problems with old code? I have no
> idea exactly
> what php code is on the server, but I do know that there is a complex
> invoice application running.
>
> Would it be safe to upgrade to v4.4.4, which is the latest of the
> 'fours',
> or would it be wise to make the jump to the 'fives'?
>
> I hold my breath and await your words of wisdom :)
>
> Chris.

Chris,
There are a few issues I had when I took the main server to V5, nothing that
couldn't get sorted in a day or two though, but it did require a quite a bit
of revalidation for existing code.
If you need LAMP hosting space with V5 then give me an email off list, I
already do this for a few people selling / designing sites.