[Phpwm] PHP Gallery + PHP-BB

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 13:40:17 GMT 2006

Peter Graham wrote :
> I was thinking about integrating this Gallery into the Telford College
> Intranet http://gallery.menalto.com/. Have any of you guys used it
> before? What do you think or do you recommend some alternative gallery
> solution?
>
> Does anyone use PHP-BB as part of there sites/intranets, I have been
> spending quite a bit of time modifying it recently (also for the college
> intranet), I would also be interested to hear peoples
> experiences/opinions of it.

Hi Pete,

PHPBB's stable branch has a security release every two months or so (i think).
Unfortunately they keep adding new features to the code base, which adds
additional complications to administration/maintenance (e.g. database
schema needs updating etc).

>From a historical perspective, phpbb has a bad security record, and there are
many alternatives around, which should probably be investigated.

If you do decide to use it, try to stick to using a Linux distributors
release, which will reduce your administration overhead.