[Phpwm] CVS

Ian Munday ian.munday at illumen.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 15:21:37 GMT 2006

> Do any of you use CVS when developing your sites?

Yes - and it's invaluable.  My preference is to use the Eclipse IDE
[http://www.eclipse.org] with the PHPeclipse plug-in [http://
www.phpeclipse.de].  Eclipse has support for team working using CVS
built-in, making synchronisation, commits, etc a few clicks of the
mouse.

There is also plug-in support for Subversion (a replacement for CVS),
but I don't have any experience using it.  I was going to look into
getting the Subversion plug-in working but was put off by a few
configuration problems others on this list have reported in the
past.  I've not had the time to look into it again.

> Majority of time I am programming on my own, so I program a site on
> my dev server then SCP the changes across to the live server when I
> am happy with it. However they are two other members of staff that
> occasionally make small alterations to the sites I work on, this
> can become a bit of a nightmare is all 3 people end up modifying
> the same pages/files at the same time.

Even if working alone, it will help you greatly with managing
versions, and can also act as an effective 'back-up' for when you
inevitably break something that worked fine before (assuming you
regularly commit working code).  This is exacerbated when multiple
developers, plus CVS will help you merge changes on a resource by
made by more than one person.

> I haven't used CVS since the 2nd year of University (3 years ago)
> so only have a vague recollection of what it does and how it works,
> would any of you recommend using it for developing PHP sites with
> multiple developers, or do you have any alternative solutions to my
> problem?

Have a look at the CVS page on Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System].  Subversion is the obvious
alternative to using CVS.  Either is a must-have in my book.