[Phpwm] CVS

Rob Allen rob at akrabat.com
Wed Feb 15 16:49:12 GMT 2006

On 15/02/2006 09:26, Peter Graham wrote:
> Do any of you use CVS when developing your sites?
>
> Majority of time I am programming on my own, so I program a site on
> my dev server then SCP the changes across to the live server when I am
> happy with it. However they are two other members of staff that
> occasionally make small alterations to the sites I work on, this can
> become a bit of a nightmare is all 3 people end up modifying the same
> pages/files at the same time.
>
> I haven't used CVS since the 2nd year of University (3 years ago) so
> only have a vague recollection of what it does and how it works, would
> any of you recommend using it for developing PHP sites with multiple
> developers, or do you have any alternative solutions to my problem?
>
> Look forward to hearing your replies,
>
> Pete Graham

I can only echo what Katherine and Ian have said. I don't do any
development without CVS or Subversion.

We use CVS at work as you have to manually keep track of when you last
merged a branch into HEAD which is a pain. Having said that, Subversion
is much better at handling file renames (you can!)

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter which version control
system you use, one day it will save your hide!

--
Rob...