[Phpwm] CVS

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 18:42:52 GMT 2006

I use CVS all the time - especially when I'm working on projects at Sourceforge!

Like the others have said, it's fantastic when you've got to go back a
bit, but if you're programming in Windows, then WinCVS is great, and
the CVSNT back-end works really well too.

I remember reading an article not too long ago about a guy who
committed his home directory to his public CVS server (not Public CVS
account) and would cvs checkout whenever he changed computers!

The only annoyance I've had with CVS is deleting files, because you
can't just delete a file, you need to tell CVS that it's been deleted
too. I've never tried renaming anything, so I can't comment on that
aspect. I guess you'd have to do it at server level.

Regards,

Jon "The Nice Guy"

On 2/15/06, Peter Graham <Peter.Graham at tcat.ac.uk> wrote:

> Do any of you use CVS when developing your sites?
>
> Majority of time I am programming on my own, so I program a site on my dev
> server then SCP the changes across to the live server when I am happy with
> it. However they are two other members of staff that occasionally make small
> alterations to the sites I work on, this can become a bit of a nightmare is
> all 3 people end up modifying the same pages/files at the same time.
>
> I haven't used CVS since the 2nd year of University (3 years ago) so only
> have a vague recollection of what it does and how it works, would any of you
> recommend using it for developing PHP sites with multiple developers, or do
> you have any alternative solutions to my problem?
>

> Look forward to hearing your replies,
>
> Pete Graham

> Internet Technical Officer 01952 642302
>
> Telford College of Arts & Technology

>  This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by

Jon "Four Star Gun" Spriggs AKA
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs