[Phpwm] Gmail Talk

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Feb 22 11:07:13 GMT 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:37:10 -0000 (GMT)
"Iain Wallace" <iain at strawp.net> wrote:

> What was with the 8 hour delay between my post and reaching the list?
> I thought we'd sorted that!
>
> >> Can anyone explain, or does anyone have links to articles
> >> explaining how that works? It's just a bit too cool.
> >
> > Ajax is <snip>
>
> I know what AJAX is, sparkes - that wasn't my question. As I said in
> the AJAX thread from the day before I've used it on a couple of apps
> before now.

you obviously don't given your next question ;-)

> The "new" thing is, GMail Talk actually *receives* data
> on time - it doesn't request data on events like key presses or time
> outs.

I can't be arsed to hold your hand when you ask basic questions and
then get arsey when you get a basic answer.  The question you asked was
pretty much a 'what is ajax and how does it work' question the question
you really wanted to ask was 'what is http and how does it work'
perhaps a read of http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
will help you with basic quesioning on technical subjects.

RTFM rfc2616 has the answers to the questions you need or
alternatively you could read my post before you respond telling me I
didn't answer your question. It's piss easy stuff that servers have been
doing for years and if you don't know this don't play the big I am when
people answer the question you asked.

sparkes

--
You need more geeky t-shirts in your life http://nerd.ws
"Writing in C or C++ is like running a chain saw with all the safety