[Phpwm] Next Meeting : 6th July @ 19:00 (OpenAdvantage) - MarcusBaker

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Jun 24 19:54:03 BST 2006

> The talk is actually aimed at people who ARE confused by objects. It's
> about making that first step and why it's so hard. It's not surprising
> that it's hard, given most of the reading material for a newcomer is
> pretty hostile. I hope to explain what makes using objects so
> psychologically different.

I've kind of encountered this in my own way - until a few months ago, I
generally thought objects in PHP were relatively pointless - however
since I've been using Smarty and now more recently Propel, I've really
started to appreciate the power of using an object oriented approach.

> The more advanced talk is the project management one, but I'm happy to
> do both if given enough warning. If just one talk is given then probably
> the OO one is the one you want.
>
> How big is the projector screen? How many people attend? I can follow
> either talk with some workshop exercises if that would be more effective.

The first (and last) meeting had approximately 18-20 attendees, which
filled the room. There is a projector screen etc. I'm not sure if
OpenAdvantage have a larger venue or not.

If we do need a larger venue, we could perhaps inquire about using e.g.
the Computer Science facilities in bham.ac.uk; or find out what the
local perl mongers do....

I'm not sure what we'll do if we have more than 20 attendees....