[Phpwm] paginating print output

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu May 11 16:34:20 BST 2006

> alan dunn wrote:
>
> > I have a pretty standard invoice document which prints to A4 - a
> > header section - name, address etc. followed by a variable number of
> > order lines then at the bottom a peel off address label. I control
> > output to the address label using an html style with an absolute
> > position on the page.
> >
> > This works fine with 5 or 10 order lines which fit on the page, but
> > when I get say, 80 lines, the label still prints where it should, but
> > now the order lines flow over the label, on to the top of the next
> > page and on.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I start to control the detail line output (line
> > count?) and impose some page discipline on the printed output?
>
> Alan,
>
> I hate to be a party pooper, but I think you are going to find it nigh
> impossible to correctly format for print from an HTML page. I'd
> recommend you think about converting to PDF, which is more controllable.
> Another approach might be to populate an OpenOffice document with the
> data (they are XML files inside a zip file and can be programmatically
> filled in) .
>
> Elliot

Put the data into an absolutely positioned layer set visible within div or
span tag and set the Z index so it remains on top.
Set a background, to say white, and any text in the lower part of the index
will simply flow underneath.

Should probably work!

Regards,

Phil Beynon
Sales director

** http://www.diygear.com THE Online DIY Toolstore For DIY & Business
** Infolink Electronic Systems Ltd. http://www.infolinkelectronics.co.uk
** Professional Web Design & Cobalt Hosting Solutions
** Contact: Sales at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
** Tel / Fax 0121 458 4894 (office) 0121 441 3558 (home) 07801 548464
(mobile)