[Phpwm] locating user's geographical location by IP

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu May 25 22:15:28 BST 2006

> Hi guys,
> I was wondering if there was a way of finding out where a user is
> accessing
> my website from from, as in geographical location.
>
> When I log ionto my Linux Web server, the shell starts with the
> string "Last
> login : from [IP]....[some kind of address]". - that's the kind
> of data i'm
> looking for
>
> All I have managed to find are 3rd party apps that map ip to a
> geographical
> location. I want to do it in PHP
>
> There must be a way of doing it in PHP.....
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sukh

Hi Sukh,
If you have a stats program such as webalizer running on your server this
can give geographic reports.
If you need it page-embedded then the services (not free) that
http://www.geobytes.com/default.htm offer are worth taking a look at. Bits
of the data given from that can be captured in hidden form fields and sent
across to the server as required.
Another site http://www.ip2location.com/ is also worth looking at for this
sort of thing.

Regards,