[Phpwm] Web 2.0

Elliot Smith elliot at townx.org
Wed Nov 22 22:15:08 GMT 2006

Dave Holmes wrote:
> Hi Elliot,
>
> I don't envy having to cover web 2.0 as a topic, because it can not be
> quantified and means different things to different people.

I agree. That was the tack I took. I think Web 2.0 is really nothing
that different from Web 1.0: it's really a realisation of Tim
Berners-Lee's original goals. Plus there are dozens of definitions. But
there are several themes it brings to the fore, design among them; but
also social software, programs conversing over the web via APIs, RIA,
the web as a platform, the Long Tail, and so on. Interesting ideas, and
a good way to add buzz to a company.
> Ask my designer and it is all about font's, colours, logos or as he put it
> "Back to child like icons loud colours" hence our new site....
> (www.neteffekt.co.uk)
> BTW - we know there are compliancy issues even though we have the logo's but
> I haven't even had chance to shave for 3 weeks because of all of the code we
> are writing....

Unobtrusive Javascript is a nice approach to solving the accessibility
issue. Have you tried this? I'm assuming you're writing with PHP; I've
tried it with Rails and it works really well.
> >From my perspective web 2.0 as a web application developer is great because
> I can now start to implement the kind of interactive functionality I used to
> build into windows applications which includes AJAX et al.
>
> Ask my dad who is a bonifide silver surfer and he couldn't care less even if
> he had heard the term as long as he can find information, book flights,
> holidays make purchases etc.

(But maybe he'd benefit from a more responsive AJAX interface :))
> To put it short badging something as web 2.0 is nigh-on impossible because
> it is like evolution, last time I checked I was not man v3.0.4, that said it
> is a buzz word and from a company owners point of view I will shamelessly
> plug it to my clients, even though we have been doing much of it for the
> last couple of years.

Homo erectus, homo sapiens...
> Dave

Elliot