[Phpwm] My New Project

Rayhan Abdulmughnee rayhan at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 18:43:22 BST 2006

Hi Chris,

I started playing with Code Igniter over the weekend and really like it
(very easy for someone who is barley familiar with PHP).  I like your
project and actually want to built something similar.  However, with my
limited skills, I figure it would be easier to see if someone else has done
something similar and work with that. So, to that end I started rummaging
through the forum and found some very cool stuff.  You may find them
helpful, so here are a few things (if you want to take a look):

1:  Authentication.

CI does have a session class, so I suppose you can built an authentication
system with that.  However, Apparently there are three authentication
systems that others have built:

-	Sentry
o	http://www.codeigniter.com/forums/viewthread/1258/
o	http://www.codeigniter.com/wiki/sentry/

-	UserAuth Mini-App
o	http://www.codeigniter.com/forums/viewthread/1347/
o	http://mini-app.peccavi.com

-	Have not found the 3rd one yet

Have not looked at Sentry, but worked with UserAuth today and looks very
good.  Installation on the FreeBSD/Apache was very easy and straightforward.
  Thou, having issue making it run on IIS.

2:  CMS

There is some discussion on the forum regarding building a CMS that can be
dropped into CI and be used or any application. However, its not built yet.
There is a plugin for Xinha that you can drop for content management (thou,
I prefer using FCKEditor…maybe using Xinha plugin as a template, I can
create one for FCKEditor).

http://www.codeigniter.com/wiki/wysiwyg/

3:  CodeCrafter

CodeCrafter can generate your Model, View, Controller files from the
database tables.  Sounds very impressive, thou I had trouble working with
the generated files (in all fairness I only spent about 20 minutes with it)

http://www.datacraft.co.za/index.php?contents=codecrafter/codecraft

That’s all I got so far. Hope, this might be of some help to you.   In the
last couple of days that I have worked with CI, I really like it.

rayhan

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chris Allen" <pickledegg at hotmail.co.uk>

Just thought I'd babble on a bit about my new project, as its the largest
I've embarked on so far, and I'm using the Codeigniter framework to ease
things a little. Forgive me in advance for waffling. :)
Its been done many times, but I'm making a flexible structure for a website
for my own use. It consists of:

Front End - Semantic XHTML with a few divs for design flexibilty.
Back End -
User Admin, Product Admin, Contact Admin( with mailing functionality ) &
page content admin.

This will give me the bones of a website package that I can tailor to suit a
customers requirements. It should cover most types of site, from basic
static to ecommerce sites.

In future I may add CSS skins and editable design elements, only time will
tell!

This is because I aim to go freelance, and I need a bit of 'power on the
hip'. My aims are to make it as expandible and future-proof as possible, cos
I'm sick of rewriting the same stuff :)

A sensible approach don't you agree?