[Phpwm] RE: hey guys and girls

Joel Stanford joel at joely.net
Sat Sep 2 13:03:42 BST 2006

Hiya folks,

With the recent spout of intros, I guessed it a good time to stop hiding
quietly in the background and say hi.

I've been lurking on the list for a little while after stumbling across the
list looking for local people who could help with PHP. I'm 22 years old, I
work full time in retail (yeah, a bit strange, seeing as I think most people
here at least work with PHP in some way lol) and I've been coding PHP for
around 5 years. I wouldn't say that I'm an expert, more of an expert novice
- I can hack sites together for pretty much anything, but I do it terribly,
with lovely messy code that I can never figure out what did what later on,
which is always handy.

 I'm trying to teach myself "better" ways of doing things, such as using
classes, templating and various other things, but I'm finding little time to
sit down and concentrate to get my head round it at the moment.

I also half-administer a dedicated server with a friend, which is great fun
for me being one of my first forays into actually working with Linux  (and
the 'AMP' bits of LAMP too..) - I'm too much of a Windows (and Mac to be
fair, but still Windows more... </hides quickly>) fan boy unfortunately. I
did manage to successfully upgrade PHP from 4.0.x to 5.0.4 and MySQL too, so
I think that's my proudest achievement of this week lol.

I have my personal site at www.joely.net, but there's nothing really there
right now - I did have my own 'hacked together' site, but I decided to try
Drupal recently, and then got sick of it as it seemed to be so difficult to
do anything I thought up that I wanted to do - so I've gone back to
designing my own site framework/functions now, and hence the earlier comment
about trying to teach myself properly!

Anyway, I hope I get to come along to a meet soon - I keep trying to pluck
up the courage to come along everytime someone arranges one, but I always
end up chickening out ;-)

And I also promise to try and stop lurking now!

(P.S. Anybody know why I can't edit the PHPWM wiki? I get a message saying
I'm blocked:

 | Editing not allowed: user, ip, network may be blocked or your ip is
listed on a DNSBL.
 | Contact the wiki administrator for more information.

I did a quick check on DNSBL but wasn't really sure what I was looking
for...? Thanks!)

--
Joel

www.joely.net