[Phpwm] Postcode Database

Reuben Pearse reuben.pearse at pslconnect.com
Thu Apr 26 09:38:16 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

I've implemented a PAF database before in MySQL for a more
customized/bespoke address lookup application.

I would not recommend this option if all you want is basic postcode
lookups. Other address lookup solutions that we've used are Postcode
Anywhere and QuickAddress (although this can get expensive)

The solution/cost will depend on how many lookups you will be doing, and
if the lookups are being done by one organisation or many, or by anyone
(i.e. public site). Google's address lookup options are getting better all
the time, and no doubt there will soon be a UK address lookup API at some
point.

If you're interested in the MySQL PAF solution, I'd be happy to send you
the database schema for loading the PAF data into.

Regards
--
Reuben Pearse
Principal Technical Consultant
reuben.pearse at pslconnect.com
T +44 121 428 4440   F +44 121 428 3454
PSL  The Old Sewing Factory  5a Greenfield Road  Harborne  Birmingham  B17
0ED
Registered in England No 2767006, VAT Registration No GB 614 0984 47

To find out more about our services please visit http://www.pslconnect.com

"Chris Allen" <pickledegg at hotmail.co.uk>
Sent by: phpwm-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
25/04/2007 09:50
Please respond to
West Midlands PHP User Group <phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk>

phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk
cc

Subject
[Phpwm] Postcode Database

I seem to remember that PAF data ( Postcode Address File ) was the subject

of conversation a few weeks back?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has implemented an address finder for UK

postcodes into a web application before, and if so what database did you
use? I ask this as the Royal Mail are charging a squillion pounds for
their
one + updates, and wondered if there was any alternative solution.

Many thanks.