[Phpwm] Re: Postcode Database (Chris Allen)

Chris Allen pickledegg at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 11:54:35 BST 2007

>Hi Chris,
>
>I've implemented a PAF database before in MySQL for a more
>customized/bespoke address lookup application.
>
>I would not recommend this option if all you want is basic postcode
>lookups. Other address lookup solutions that we've used are Postcode
>Anywhere and QuickAddress (although this can get expensive)
>
>The solution/cost will depend on how many lookups you will be doing, and if
>the lookups are being done by one organisation or many, or by anyone (i.e.
>public site). Google's address lookup options are getting better all the
>time, and no doubt there will soon be a UK address lookup API at some
>point.
>
>If you're interested in the MySQL PAF solution, I'd be happy to send you
>the database schema for loading the PAF data into.
>
>Regards
>--
>Reuben Pearse
>Principal Technical Consultant

Hi Reuben,

I've been chatting to postcodeanywhere and the javascript popup solution
looks perfect and will be cost-effective for the way the application is to
be used.

HOWEVER, they are basically being 'stepped on' by Royal Mail on September
1st. As this is a desktop application for use in the motor industry, each
dealer will require a license at £360.00 for the full search, which is a
yearly cost.

I'm know speaking to Royal Mail and I have asked them to send some sample
data, but I'm not sure how I'm going to implement it right now. I can't see
it being feasible to host a database of 27million address on our server
surely?

I liked the look of the postcodeanywhere solution as its so simple to
implement, and all data is kept update & intact elsewhere, but isn't there
the chance that these Royal Mail license fees may kill this company?

Chris.