[Phpwm] ecommerce

Tim Williams T.M.Williams at cs.bham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 11:53:51 GMT 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, David Goodwin wrote:

>> I registered a "good" domain name, in my company name. This was then
>> 'sublet' to a cuatomer of mine. he for whatever reason decided to host
>> elsewhere, mainly because he was receiving chamber of commerce funding for
>> the design it.
>
> Does 'sublet' imply that you are still the named registrant of the
> domain?
> If you are, can you not just get nominet/whoever to reassign it back to you?

If you have the domain name certificates then you should also have a
nominet account registration/activation code with this. If you have this
information, then you can use the nominet system to transfer the domain to
a new registar by changing the Registrar tag. They change a £10 (ex vat)
fee to do this. Once transfered you can re-assign the DNS as you wish.

I did this recently to transfer a domain name for my parents company away
from there old ISP (the company had been taken over and then the company
that took them over was taken over, so we weren't sure who to talk to). I
use uk2.net for domain names and the procedure was as follows :

1) Get into the domain using the nominet details
2) Change the tag to UK2NET for a small fee
3) Go to UK2Net and serach for the domain
4) Click the 'this is my domain name link'
5) Follow the instructions and pay the small fee
6) Reassign the DNS and wait for the web to sort itself out.

That should do the trick. However, as has already been stated, be sure you
don't land yourself with a legal problem doing this. There were no
subletting issues with the domain(s) I did this for, my parents owned them
and the ISP was no longer being paid to host them so they didn't care what
I did.

Tim W

--
Tim Williams BSc MSc MBCS - Euromotor Autotrain
Web : http://www.autotrain.org