[Phpwm] ecommerce

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 12:51:20 GMT 2007

> Hi Phil,
>
> I'm a little confused by who your grievance is with. From my (slightly
> limited) knowledge, IPS tags refer to an agent who acts on your behalf
> to Nominet. Did you register a domain with an agent, and want to
> transfer that to another agent?

When we registered it we used our normal tag holder, the customer wanted it
to transfer ti a different ISP and they insisted on holding the tag. We have
no business relationship with the other ISP, they are now refusing to
transfer it back.

> Whilst most agents (Easily, 123-reg, etc...) have a pretty standard way
> to change the IPS tag I believe they are allowed to charge an admin fee.
> I have no idea if you are able to charge your agent for not changing
> your tag because they don't specifically 'use' your domain, simply act
> on your behalf to Nominet. I am however pretty sure you can bypass the
> agent and go direct to Nominet (I think the charge for this is just £10)
> if the domain is in your company's name.

I shall have a chat with Nominet certainly! I certainly wont be paying the
second ISP any admin fee though! :-)

> If I was in your situation I'd be in touch with Nominet and inform them
> that one of their tag holders is refusing to release a domain, surely
> Nominet don't give tags to any old man on the street! I also wouldn't
> try to invoice a tag holder (think of the tax you'll pay on £75/day!),
> I'd go to solicitor and take some advice on recovering the costs and
> seeing if I could claim damages (if any).

It'll keep them on their toes though! I have a solicitor who's site I host -
we have a reciprocal arrangement that we sort each others problems like
this! :-)

> Do you have the terms and conditions from the current agent? If not in
> future I'd recommend greater care in who you choose to be your agent.
> Make sure the terms and conditions cover the process from changing the
> IPS and find out how much it will cost to change agents (and how often
> they review pricing... a lot can change in 2 years).

It was the company we sublet to that had any contact with them, not us at
any stage.

Phil