[Phpwm] ecommerce

Daniel Davies daniel at sitedesign.net
Wed Dec 19 12:27:18 GMT 2007

Hi Phil,

I'm a little confused by who your grievance is with. From my (slightly
limited) knowledge, IPS tags refer to an agent who acts on your behalf
to Nominet. Did you register a domain with an agent, and want to
transfer that to another agent?

Whilst most agents (Easily, 123-reg, etc...) have a pretty standard way
to change the IPS tag I believe they are allowed to charge an admin fee.
I have no idea if you are able to charge your agent for not changing
your tag because they don't specifically 'use' your domain, simply act
on your behalf to Nominet. I am however pretty sure you can bypass the
agent and go direct to Nominet (I think the charge for this is just £10)
if the domain is in your company's name.

If I was in your situation I'd be in touch with Nominet and inform them
that one of their tag holders is refusing to release a domain, surely
Nominet don't give tags to any old man on the street! I also wouldn't
try to invoice a tag holder (think of the tax you'll pay on £75/day!),
I'd go to solicitor and take some advice on recovering the costs and
seeing if I could claim damages (if any).

Do you have the terms and conditions from the current agent? If not in
future I'd recommend greater care in who you choose to be your agent.
Make sure the terms and conditions cover the process from changing the
IPS and find out how much it will cost to change agents (and how often
they review pricing... a lot can change in 2 years).

--
Daniel Davies

Web Sitedesign.net Ltd
Birchley House