[Phpwm] new ste

Paul Matthews paul.matthews.86 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 23:14:05 GMT 2007

On 2/14/07, David Goodwin <david at codepoets.co.uk> wrote:

> > To make the validator work all you need to do is replace your previous
> dtd
> > and html opening tag with (note the dtd and xml definition are the first
> > thing on the page):
> >
> > <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN'
> > 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'>
>
> I've not noticed the <?xml thing all that often; is it often not used?
> Or do few people bother reaching that standard?
>
> (<? also has that annoying property of being the equivalent of <?php on
> some stupid servers, and is quite annoying when you find it in 3rd party
> code).
>
> David.
> --
> David Goodwin
>
> [ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]
> [ http://www.codepoets.co.uk       ]

Traditionally speaking, it's a sign of an xml document and as xhtml is
technically an xml doc, it should have it however, I don't believe the
validators look for it, more than likely because of the shortened php tags.

So yes, few people do bother to reach that standard, but I though as I was
explaining it anyway, I thought I'd put it in.