[Phpwm] Software Patents Petition

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 12:43:26 GMT 2007

> >> as its not

> >> /dev/null, I'll have you know :-)
> >>

> > oh is that why it didnt work...... :p

> >> Unlikely...
> >>

> > You never know.....
> > Well better get some work done, just in the process of mass banning the
> > eastern european IP address that have been spamming my servers over the
> > holiday. They might have joined teh EU but they are just aout
> to leaver my
> > little corner of the internet!

> Greylisting - its the future - I now get 1% of the spam i used to by
> implementing greylisting in Exim.

The policy I work on is if it is a EU, North American or Australasian
country they get the one IP blocked, Eastern European ones get the bottom
octet blocked (256 IPs), Arabian, Asian, Indian subcontinent, African, far
Eastern ones get the bottom two octets blocked (65535 IPs).
So far no customer has complained about it.

I would imagine this policy could be considered by some as racist, but most
of my customers are small companies trading either locally or within the EU
and US / Canada. They simply don't need emails from these other places, with
the sheer weight of spam that is now happening, and the way it is
diminishing the effectiveness of email as a business tool its not a policy
that I'm about to amend.