[Phpwm] Content Management System requirements

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 07:00:33 GMT 2007

Zeth Green wrote :
> >allow him and other members to edit and create their own content
> (news, events, etc)
>
> How about Dokuwiki? No database is required. It's quite smart really.

Can it [dokuwiki] do pictures/events/calendars?

Drupal is perhaps an obvious contender (along with the other things like
mambo/joomla) but they're unlikely to fit in 5mb of disk space, and
require databases.

If you're going to host the database on another server, why not just
host the entire site itself on your own server? At worst you can have a
frames based redirection to your site (yuck).

I've never hosted a site where the database server is remote from a web
server, although I suspect it _may_ be ok for a low traffic site, the
latency from the various DB calls (when added up across a single page
request) may well make the site appear very slow. Secondly, you'll need
to be careful about security and setup a firewall to stop the world
having access to your DB, and only allow e.g. a single IP address (of
the remote webserver).

You might want to check that the hosting company have compiled php with
support for mysql/postgresql before going much further - as if they
don't allow database access, their php may be configured without mysql
etc... and this would make accessing even a remote database quite
difficult.