[Phpwm] Content Management System requirements

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 07:08:09 GMT 2007

> > >allow him and other members to edit and create their own content
> > (news, events, etc)
> >
> > How about Dokuwiki? No database is required. It's quite smart really.
> >

> Can it [dokuwiki] do pictures/events/calendars?
>

> Drupal is perhaps an obvious contender (along with the other things like
> mambo/joomla) but they're unlikely to fit in 5mb of disk space, and
> require databases.

Why only 5Mb - disc is virtually free these days, if they are that tight for
space then they need a biger server!

> If you're going to host the database on another server, why not just
> host the entire site itself on your own server? At worst you can have a
> frames based redirection to your site (yuck).

Yup and yuck agreed! :-) search engines generally dont like frames much.....

> I've never hosted a site where the database server is remote from a web
> server, although I suspect it _may_ be ok for a low traffic site, the
> latency from the various DB calls (when added up across a single page
> request) may well make the site appear very slow. Secondly, you'll need
> to be careful about security and setup a firewall to stop the world
> having access to your DB, and only allow e.g. a single IP address (of
> the remote webserver).

Why not just set up a subdomain and host it on your server, then send
visitors over via links, plus you will be getting more search engine
exposure.

> You might want to check that the hosting company have compiled php with
> support for mysql/postgresql before going much further - as if they
> don't allow database access, their php may be configured without mysql
> etc... and this would make accessing even a remote database quite
> difficult.

Might also be port blocked via a firewall from doing this.

> David.

Gosh, aren't we all up early today! :-)