[Phpwm] Installing/moving Drupal to live server

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 16:09:47 GMT 2007

> Now I'm wondering would it be possible to add all the files in my Drupal
> installation into a svn repo, dump my database , then checkout the files
> and
> upload the db on the live server?

Yes; I think it would be.

> I have managed to use this technique before for phpBB, punBB and wordpress
> installations, although with all of the former I have had to mess about
> with
> various things once the site/app was moved (nearly all of them seem to set
> the sites base url somewhere in their database when you install them, this
> needs modifying as all hyperlinks are generated with it).

I don't think Drupal does this. As far as I'm aware the only things to
check are :

1) settings.php (only contains DB stuff I think)
2) .htaccess - used to generate nice urls - which will defaintely
contain your hostname

> When integrating third party apps into a existing website do you guys tend
> to add the application to your code repository or install the files
> separately on each server?

If you're going to make any customisations to Drupal; I'd suggest you
do/read :

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

I've had to manage large changesets on phpbb in the past, and following
this really made my life so, so, much easier.